Not too long ago, a gentleman named Bill Burrows (a VB MVP) contacted me and asked for permission to use content from my blog to create a video tutorial series on RIA Services Validation. I was really flattered by this and gave him my permission. I apply a Creative Commons Share-Alike license to the content on my blog, so Bill could have really done this without my explicit permission, but I do appreciate that he asked. I simply requested that he respect the Share-Alike and Attribution portions of the license.
Today, Bill sent me an update to let me know the video tutorials were published. I just watched the introduction video and I really like what Bill has set up; it looks like a great scenario for demonstrating many different types of validation. And as a bonus, he has all of the code from his tutorial packaged up for you to download!
- Bill Burrows’ Website: http://www.MyVBProf.com (Notice the site is created in Silverlight )
- Bill’s Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/Burrows/Default.aspx
- RIA Services Validation Videos page: http://www.myvbprof.com/MainSite/index.aspx#/zRIA_Validation
- Click the “View Videos” button to start watching the videos
- Download the VB code from the tutorial: http://www.myvbprof.com/code/RIA_Validation_Demo.zip
- Download the videos for offline viewing (100MB): http://www.myvbprof.net/Downloads/RIA_Validation_Videos.zip
Here are the videos that Bill has created:
- Creating the Application
- Standard Validators
- Custom Validators
- Generalized Custom Validators
- Cross-Field Validators
- Entity-Level Validators
I plan to also publish the C# code from my blog post series. Before I publish it though, I really want to get a few more posts created to wrap up the series. Once the series is complete, I’ll get all of the code published to provide a single source for all of the validation scenarios I’ve covered. Stay tuned!